Stephen is the senior trial lawyer and founder of Family Lawyers, he is exceptionally knowledgeable and has gained extensive experience over his years of practice. Stephen has impressive litigation, arbitration, criminal defense experience and a deep understanding of how the Vietnam legal system, courts and authorities operate. His career philosophy is “Fighting for Justice”.
Stephen was the winner of the “Disputes Star of the Year“ award by asialaw in Hong Kong. He has been endorsed by over 50 global corporations as a preeminent trial lawyer of Vietnam. Petronas (Malaysia) endorsed Stephen as the best trial lawyer they have worked with in Vietnam. Stephen has been highly ranked in Chambers Asia Pacific, Legal500, Benchmark Litigation and asialaw Profiles for consecutive years.
He has advised and represented many global corporations and individual clients in various legal matters and disputes. In addition, Stephen is also an authoritative voice in the business community, conducting legal seminars in conjunction with AmCham Vietnam and Le & Tran. He has hosted and was the key speaker at various legal seminars for the AmCham business community.
For his practice and all the Le & Tran attorneys, he strongly follows the belief that “Any well trained lawyer can provide legal advice, but only a well rounded professional can provide you with the tools you need to successfully reach your goals while complying with all the legal requirements.”
In March 2019, Stephen established a legal branch of Le & Tran focusing only on the practice of family law, named “Family Lawyers”. Since then, he and his team have successfully resolved many family matters: marriage, divorce, child matters, wills and estates, and Vietnam immigration.
- Assisted foreign nationals in successfully registering their marriage with Vietnamese citizens in Vietnam.
- Assisted foreign couples in successfully registering their marriage in Vietnam.
- Assisted Vietnam citizens who registered their marriage overseas in successfully recording their marriage with Vietnamese authorities.
- Assisted couples in making their prenuptial agreements which involve their assets inside and outside Vietnam.
- Assisted foreign and Vietnamese couples in making mutual agreements on marital assets to overcome restrictions of the Vietnam law applied to foreigners owning properties in Vietnam.
- Assisted foreign parents in obtaining Vietnamese birth certificates and foreign nationalities for their newborn babies in Vietnam.
- Assisted a foreign national with the adoption of his stepdaughter. A complex scenario where the biological father refused to be part of the process. Solutions were found to overcome the deadlock.
- Assisted a foreign resident with the adoption process of his stepdaughter in Vietnam. Difficulties in obtaining critical documentation to satisfy the adoption being granted, were successfully overcome.
Divorce & children matters
- Defended a foreign national in a complex custody dispute matter involving an unmarried couple and their son. The young child was at threat and custody rights were being abused.
- Defended a foreign citizen in a custody dispute over their child who was brought to Vietnam without consent.
- Defended a foreign national in a divorce dispute with a Vietnamese citizen. The dispute related to significant marital properties that were placed in the wife’s name due to the restrictions by the Vietnamese law applied to the husband as a foreigner.
- Defended a foreign national in a dispute over the purchase of an apartment in Vietnam, whereby the ownership of the property was contested.
- Advised a foreign national on a potential divorce from her Vietnamese husband. Due to the restrictions on foreigners under Vietnamese law, all martial properties were under the husband’s and his relatives’ names.
Will and estates
- Assisted two foreign individuals obtaining their inheritance entitlements. The inheritance was substantial and involved properties, money and access to safety deposit boxes. A challenging process due to multiple jurisdictions and other complexities. These challenges were successfully overcome, enabling full inheritance entitlements to be granted.
- Assisted in obtaining declaration of death in Vietnam under the Vietnam law and obtaining a Consular Report of Death Abroad under the U.S. law.
- Obtaining new Vietnamese birth certificates for American citizens.
- Creation of last will and testament for the distribution of real estate and personal property in multiple jurisdictions.
- Obtaining visas, work permits, temporary residence cards for foreign individuals in order to legally stay and work in Vietnam.
- Assisting foreign individuals with business start-ups in Vietnam.
- “Great law firm covering a large scope of activities. Supporting their client’s best interest and cost-effective.
Stephane Masse – Head of IT at Central Retail in Vietnam
- “Before we meet Le & Tran/Family Lawyers law firm, we can’t close our family’s issue for a few years. But after we started working with them, they solved everything in just a few weeks. And during the case, their guidance is always fast and helpful. Also, every step by step, Le & Tran kindly explain to us what the current situation is and how we can solve the next step together. I have worked with many various companies and people in VN for nearly 10 yrs. and I can say Le & Tran is the most professional and systematic expert in VN. Every document and answer is clear and reasonable, has great staff, and communication is easy and nice. And always work under the law. If you have a law issue, then contact them. Highly recommend it.”
- “A friend recommended Stephen and his Law Firm Le & Tran, from the first meeting I knew that Stephen was exactly the lawyer I needed. My family law case has been difficult because it’s complicated, but Stephen and his staff have been very patient, diligent and professional. I have every confidence that he and the legal team will help me to achieve the desired result.”
Michael Ennis – Managing Director of Norstone® Pty Ltd
- “I have had the pleasure of working with Mr. Stephen Le and his team in 2018 and again in 2019; a lasting impression and what has amazed me is his professionalism and methodical approach to addressing legal issues in Vietnam. I would highly recommend Mr Stephen Le and his firm for areas of Litigation, Mergers and Acquisitions, Contracts and areas covering various corporate legal aspects. Certainly, a legal counsel of choice and legal firm to assist companies and individuals (particularly foreign corporates) when trying to navigate the Vietnamese legal environment.”
Eng Yew Chan – Chief Executive Officer at Strategic Marine
- “Stephen and I worked together, and that experience impressed upon me Stephen’s responsiveness, tactical acumen and stellar work ethic. He is a trusted and effective lawyer for legal matters.”
Kenneth Tan – Associate at Norton Rose Fullbright
- “I had the pleasure of working with Stephen on several issues over the years and have always found him to be extremely bright, VERY aggressive and always to the point. He responds quickly and is always extremely honest in his opinion, even if you don’t want to hear it. There are not many people who merit the distinction of being labelled as honorable and results-oriented, but, in my book, he ranks with the best in protecting and caring for his clients no matter what the issue.”
Gregory Nathan – Co-founder, Grace Skincare Clinic
- “A solid lawyer who always has the client’s best interest in mind.”
Peiyi Tung – a Taiwanese lawyer – worked with Stephen while she was with Poyuen Vietnam
- “Mr. Le successfully assisted D.I.E.C Singapore in matters relating to debt recovery from two Vietnamese companies. Mr. Le usually approached the solutions in innovative ways and worked closely and full-heartedly with me. It is also worth mention the level of confidence and diligence that Mr. Le demonstrated when working with me were extraordinary.”
Goh Yong Ang – Former General Director of D.I.E.C Singapore Pte. Ltd
- “Stephen is the best in town.”
Nicola Connolly – Former Vice Chairwoman of EuroCham and Former General Director of Adecco Vietnam
- “Stephen and his team provided all the invaluable & precise advice.”
Michel Borelli – Former Managing Director of MullenLowe (Vietnam)
- “Stephen has been very diligently and timely providing legal advice to us in Vietnam, and we greatly appreciate his professionalism.”
Penh Huynh – Former Financial Regional (SEA) Director of Bacardi
- “To date, we have had very good interactions with Le & Tran and appreciate the detailed advice on various requested projects.”
Samuel Scoles – Regional Director Asia, International Trade Advisory Services of White & Case Pte. Ltd
- “Very impressive work that Stephen has provided.”
Frederick Huynh Quan Dat – Former CEO of Etihad Airways (Vietnam) & Former CEO of Qatar Airways (Vietnam)